Tuesday, June 14, 2022

June 13 The B’nei Mitzvah!


Words cannot describe the depth of feelings from this day. I don’t think I can write an accurate picture of the day. The emotions Glenn and I felt were deeply rooted. Was it the pride of hearing the boys chant prayers? The excitement over how well they did. The connection to seeing the wall behind us. The joy of seeing friends from Atlanta, family we see often and the family we have new connections with or those we seldom see standing with us, here for us… for Brandon and Colin. I can’t forget the love we felt from friends and family at home who couldn’t be with us. 

We began with a procession from the gate to the ceremony. We had drummers and a saxophone to set the stage for the day. As Uncle Toddee, Uncle Gavin, Jackson and Micah held the posts of the Chuppah Brandon, Colin, Glenn, and I walked together under one “roof”. The procession began with the sounding of the shofar as we saw the Kotel in the distance. We stopped to dance and sing along the way. Then continued walking under the chuppah with more songs and clapping. It was the epitome of joy. We heard the shofar a couple more times before descending to the location of the ceremony. 

The boys did the most amazing job. They were well prepared. Their voices perfectly chanted each prayer, Torah portion, and D’var Torah. Glenn and I were beaming of pride. Moira, Gavin, Mel, Grandpa Larry and Uncle Toddee were immersed in the pride of hearing their boys step forward in a long line of tradition. 

After they each completed their Torah portions we sang and danced. At the conclusion of the ceremony we looked at the wall and sang Hatikvah. With our hands on our hearts and tears in our eyes the gravity of the moment touched our hearts. 

We shared a meal with everyone but that was only a blip from the day. 

After everyone went home and we rested we went shopping where the boys bought a Star of David to wear to commemorate the day, now men in the eyes of Judaism. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds absolutely beautiful! Feels like I’m there as I read about it! Mazel Tov to you all!

    ReplyDelete