We were wandering Jews, wandering through the Old City of Jerusalem. I have been to The Old City before and I’ve never experienced it as I did today. We spent 5 hours exploring the 4 quarters of Jerusalem. We saw the holiest sites for each of the 3 religions. Our tour guide Nadav explained how Judaism and Christianity’s history is intertwined.
Being Jewish, I’ve only studied our religion. I had a basic understanding of Christianity. After this tour I understood their religion better. I understood the history of Jesus and what kind of following he had prior to his death. We saw the place of the “last supper”. It was at the sight of The Last Supper that a tour group from Africa are singing Hallelujah. They were fully immersed in the emotions they were feeling. People were crying, singing and laying on the ground praying. I was overcome with emotions simply as a bystander to their energy. The feeling was electric. I had to take several deep breaths to center myself after that powerful experience.
We went as close to the Temple Mount as possible then off to another section of the Western wall that is lesser known about. We went to the Church of Sepulchers where we saw the sight of Jesus’ tomb. I was very interested in the history we learned about Christianity and Jesus.
While the men went to their side Anne and I went to the women's side. This trip was her first experience with Judaism.
After 5 hours we finished the tour filled with information to process and tired feet. Golda, our favorite ice cream shop hit the spot.
No comments:
Post a Comment